Bendigo District RSL
Sub Branch History
Soldiers who returned from Gallipoli, with hopes & aspirations for the future, formed a Branch of the Returned Soldiers’ Association in Bendigo on 23 December 1915. The first office of the new branch was established at No 9 Commonwealth Chambers, Charing Cross in January 1916, the first official meeting of the new branch took place on 27 January 1916, and the first elections were held on 3 February 1916. The Bendigo branch was the first to be formed in Victoria outside of Melbourne.
The Bendigo, Eaglehawk and Kangaroo Flat RSL Cooperative Society Ltd was formed in 1977 as a joint venture between Bendigo, Eaglehawk and Kangaroo Flat Sub-Branches of the RSL. Licensed club facilities were built in Havilah Road and were opened in December 1979 and the Bendigo District Servicemen’s Club was formed to operate the Club.
In 2000, Bendigo RSL was asked by ANZAC House to take over the operations of the Servicemen’s Club and the assets and liabilities of the Cooperative. On 1 January 2001, Bendigo RSL Sub-Branch became Bendigo District RSL Sub-Branch Inc in recognition of this changed role.